Monday, August 11, 2008

Okay, Okay, I'm Awake Now

You Can Stop Licking My Nose.

It seems there is a new trend developing in this house, one that I'm not sure I agree with at all. Apparently, Puppy has learned, like Pavlov's dogs, certain behaviors bring about a positive result. For instance, he knows if I stir ever so slightly in the morning that if he jumps on my chest and starts licking my nose I will reluctantly get out of bed, and this pleases him to no end.

Oh I've tried everything from burying my head, to turning over, but no, once he starts he will persist until I get out of that bed come hell or high water. He won't give up. I don't know exactly what he wants, but my first instinct is to put them outside which I do, but I have usually already let them out a couple of hours earlier. For some reason I've been waking up at 5 a.m. regularly and been letting them out.

He's become a bit of a cat dog in some ways. You know how cats will always flop themselves down on the magazine you are reading, or on the computer keyboard when you are typing at it, well that's Puppy. I lay across my bed reading a book, and he picks that very time to come and snuggle up under my chin begging for petting and affection. It's too darn cute to ignore, so I have to pet him, then when I stop he keeps nudging for more and more, completely taking away from my book reading time. Well, he's spoiled I guess.

I guess it wouldn't be so bad if I could just teach him how to make coffee first. My life is a Folger's commercial, I simply cannot wake up without it anymore. Sometimes when hubby is home he brews the coffee then wakes me up to the sweet aroma of Folger's in my cup, and I love him more than ever, if that's even possible.

Puppy is actually a year old now, but he's still very much puppy, so we keep calling him that. He had his bath this week and is in extreme fluff mode. He has a bath once a month, he's usually dirty within the hour of returning home from the groomer, but he'll smell good for at least a week. She put some type of leave in conditioner on him last time, and he was like a freshly bathed little baby you just wanted to cuddle him.

My husband is quite taken with him. I even heard him refer to him as "My little Pumpkin" once, and of course I couldn't help but find that endearing. When I got Pumpkin I did so without consulting him, which I usually never do, but he was at the rig so I didn't have a way to get ahold of him, anyway, it's done now, but I did send him a text message and a picture saying, "I got a puppy, I hope you don't get mad", and of course he was very annoyed with me for that. He cussed and told the guys, "she got a puppy", and he showed them the picture, to which they all exclaimed, "awww." He told them we named him Pumpkin.

Now, every week when he returns to the rig, it's "How's Pumpkin?" and "Pumpkin this, and Pumpkin that" they are relentless about it. It's all fun though, and he takes it in stride.

Everyone should have a Pomeranian, they are so much fun. Even so, he likes to drag things out and make messes, which has been a pain, but when I come home from work and find him wearing a pair of underpants around his torso because he's practically climbed into them, I can't help but laugh at what a little clown he is. They weren't my underwears anyway.

So, I'm off to another day of back breaking physical labor, err I mean, I'm off to clean house and do laundry, tomorrow is trash day, and I'm truly of a mind to just start chucking stuff into the cans outside. I'm so tired of all this clutter.

And, there is a pie to be made today. I guess that will be a nice reward.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:57 AM

    It is so nice that you got spend some time with your mom. Mine is not close enough for that, plus she would probably drive me nuts in short order anyway....but that's another story.
    I hope the pie came out fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I see here is a candid picture of spoiling that dog to distraction.

    Well, well, there probably is not enough feline influence on that puppy. Needs some scratches on his snout for humility, I would say.

    ReplyDelete