Doing It Anyway.
Hubby and I did yard work all day. I think he sees it as work. I do too, but I also see it as fun. We worked for hours on this one flower bed in our back yard. The flower bed is nothing but a horrendous mess of weeds that eventually approach the height of the privacy fence beside them. The sunflowers haven't come in yet, but oh boy when they do it is a huge mess.
I like sunflowers as much as the next person, I was born in Kansas land of the sunflower, but when mixed in with several different species of noxious weeds the whole situation gets out of control immediately and the result is a sorry looking eyesore that is nearly impossible to mow beside without getting scraped and scratched by stickers and possibly even stung by bees and wasps. It is just not good.
The weed wacker can barely manage the majority of very thick weeds, and it quickly gets out of hand. We decided to take the bull by the horns before it reached its usual unbearable stage. We took a couple of hours to cut down each and every one of those weeds which have already got more established than we would like, and after we got it all cleared out we put weed killer down, and then covered it with that weed preventer stuff. After having done all of that, we finally filled the beds with mulch, or wood chips if you will.
The combination of the weed preventer fabric, and the mulch will hopefully prevent the above mentioned scenario, and although it is rather plain, we felt it was a fairly cost effective solution to the problem. We thought about planting some bushes in there, but decided that would cost too much right now. Instead we decided that later we can place nice looking containers of flowers, and hey, it is the perfect location for about 50 garden gnomes. Hey, why not?
As of yet, we don't have any lawn ornaments, but I think a couple of cutesy tootsy things placed in there would be kind of fun, and it would give me the perfect reason to buy that totally cool Buddha statue I saw at Lowes. I was a little apprehensive about using someone's religious symbol as a simple garden ornament, and this has prevented me from buying one in the first place, but I really do like the statue. I'm not sure if that sort of thing is really acceptable since I know next to nothing about Buddhism anyway.
I just thought how distasteful I found it when I heard of someone placing a Crucifix in a jar of urine, and don't want to be a hypocrit here. Granted, the Buddha statue would be treated much more nicely in my backyard anyway.
I remember my aunt used to have this little black boy statue in her yard, a lot of people had them. Someone decided these were derogatory and people seemed to almost simultaneously decide to remove these things from their yards. Maybe they just fell out of fashion, I don't know I was a little kid then.
I heard several years ago that some of Roseanne Barr's neighbors were highly offended that she had taken to placing hundreds of plastic pink flamingos in her yard in the high class neighborhood she was living in. I found that story amusing as I imagined some rich folks being bent out of shape about her cheap lawn decor, never mind the fact that a hundreds of plastic pink flamingos are not cheap for most people.
We haven't decided exactly what we will do with the new flower bed. It won't be a flower bed in the traditional sense because there is no way a flower could survive in there with those vicious weeds. Our goal was to kill them. Hopefully we will succeed at that. We didn't really know what we were doing. We just did it, and are hoping it works.
Heh, I have two pink flamingos in the yard..and a few smaller bird things with twirly wings that spin in the wind.
ReplyDeleteAnd several glazed clay turtles and frogs which are kinda cool. One of the frogs has a big open mouth area, and sometimes you'll see a toad camping out in the pottery frog's mouth ;->
I like whimsical yard decor. That frog thing sounds pretty cool!
ReplyDeleteThere is a house not far from us that has a front yard full of nothing but lawn statues. We affectionately call it the gnome house because they have about 100 of them.