Tuesday, June 19, 2007

The Phone Rang 4 Times As I Wrote This Post

It Rings Too Much.

It must be a law or something, but every time I get into something, be it a movie, a blog post, the shower, and most importantly a NAP the phone must ring. I was home all day the other day, I was mostly bored doing nothing. It was a quiet morning. I decided that afternoon to take a nap, a forty minute nap, the phone rang 3 times during that nap. Three times! In forty minutes.

I just sat down to read blogs, the phone rings. Perhaps I could save myself an awful lot of trouble if I were to put a phone downstairs. I really shouldn't blame the people calling, it is not their fault I get annoyed because I have to run all the way upstairs to answer the phone which is nothing more than a bother to me. What really ticks me off is when it is a telemarketer waking me up from my nap. I don't even bother with any niceties anymore. I just hang up on them immediately.

Anyway it was my mom just now. "Hello?"

"Did you just call me?" she asks.

"No, it wasn't me." I reply.

"Hmm. Well it might have been your sister then."

"Yep, maybe."

"Well, I have to run, have to get back in the bathroom, that's where I was when the phone rang before" she sighs.

"Ok Mom. I'll talk to you later" I laugh.

I love my mother. She does this at least once a week. I have tried to get her to get caller i.d. She won't. "That's why I have the answering machine" she says. She hates answering machines, yet she expects people to leave messages on hers, and even so, if they don't leave a message, she then has no idea who called, and I get these calls from her. She is such a dear sweet mother, I don't mind that she calls. I adore my mom. I just find this particular thing rather funny, sort of like her affinity for pie.

Mom always has pie. If you've got a hankerin' for pie, get yourself over to my mom's house. She often has two. Just the other day I had a piece of peach pie. It was all right. I said, "mmm, this pie is good, but nearly as good as the peach pies you make." She agreed, but stipulated that these are just much easier to make since all she has to do is bake it. Sure, I'll give her that, but store bought pie is just not as good. Mom never used to rely on the store bought pie for her family, but now she and dad are just as happy with it. She always offers me a piece of pie whenever I go to visit. I really love that about her.

I should go over and make some pies with her one afternoon. I miss her company. I don't know why I can't make time to get over there often enough. I get home and all I want to do is stay here, and work around my house.

Well, I have to go return some phone calls. Be back later. I've got a hankering for a nap as well. A nice nap in front of the fan with my two fat pillows, and my fluffy blankie wadded up with my leg thrown over it. It's almost as good as homemade pie.

2 comments:

  1. I know how hard it can be to ignore a ringing phone...but in this day and age, with so many persons around who feel they have a God-given right to your attention, it's a survival skill.

    I recommend a good answering machine, Caller ID, and the cultivation of an "if it's really that important, he'll leave a message" attitude.

    ReplyDelete