It's All Relative.
I have a headache. I just spent an hour in class discussing moral relativism, and listening to people defend this position. Well, it is my opinion that the theory stinks to high heaven. Killing Jews, female circumcision, those things are bad, but that's just an opinion. Who are we to question what other societies deem morally correct? That's the question being asked anyway.
The good news, the instructor said flat out, moral relativists are wrong. I was glad to hear that. I was hoping that I wasn't going to have to spend the rest of the semester with peanut butter in my ears, and just putting the "correct" answers on tests knowing full well I might very well be paying for a load of donkey dung.
I know murder is wrong, I know what the Nazi's did was wrong, I know a lot of things are wrong. I can't tell you necessarily why I know this--which my instructor said was a relativist's position--but I still know it is wrong. I guess it is just cause my mom and dad taught me so, but I don't remember them specifically saying so. Which reminded me of the movie Waterboy, which I only just saw for the first time this year. I felt like the Water Boy tonight when I said, the killing the Nazi's did was just wrong, because my momma said so that's why.
My parent's taught me that life is valuable. That could very well be a moral relativists position, but I believe it to be more than that, I believe that to be a moral principle that should extend to every society, and it does for the most part, just some folks need to be reminded. That surely doesn't account for tyrants and all, we know they are out there.
Anyway, I'm just blabbing. I'll post more later. I've got a lot of reading to do this weekend. Have to get myself up to speed on this stuff, or at least be able to make a point without referring to my momma saying so. (I didn't really quote my momma in my class, but I sure wanted to!)
The obvious response, I think, is "Who are those other societies to question what we deem morally correct?" Not one of your Preening Multiculturalists (Reg. U.S. Pat. Off.) will be able to come back with anything without sputtering into a Donald Duck-like frenzy of gibberish.
ReplyDelete