Friday, January 12, 2007

Mean People

They Do Suck.

I know it's a bumper sticker slogan, but it is true. It just depends on what you think is mean or not. Now, I admit I do have an eensy weensy teeny tiny little mean streak in me. I can be somewhat mean when provoked. Sometimes I use the F word when I probably shouldn't, and I've had moments of utter meanness that could make a preacher cuss.

I may be mean, but my meanness is nothing compared to those people who make fun of complete strangers. It is nothing compared to people who think themselves so fantastic and superior that they routinely post pictures of unattractive people on their websites just so they can have a laugh at them. I don't think that is funny. I don't think that is classy. I think that is downright to the core mean.

What amazes me even more is that these same people seem to have quite a following of other fantastic and superior people who think it is just dandy. Now of course I would not bother to make a comment, or criticize on their blog that would be rude, but that doesn't stop me from doing it here.

Oh I used to think I was mean, but I'm not. I just can't be that cruel. I guess I'm too soft. I'm not innocent, I've made fun of people who didn't deserve it at all, and it was wrong. However, seeing that trait in others has shown me just how ugly it is to carry on that way, even if it is not something I do on a regular basis, I'm guilty of it as well perhaps not to the same extent, but I'm still guilty.

I don't know. I just stumbled onto a website that made me cringe. The way that the subjects were mocked, laughed at and made fun of didn't set well with me. Not cool. Not cool at all.

2 comments:

  1. I hope you do not mean our place, because...

    Anyway, your post reminded me about one of my favorite people, the late Robert Heinlein. He used to hail mandatory carrying of an unconcealed gun, saying that this should make people polite to the highest degree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely not your place. I'm liking the gun idea.

    ReplyDelete