Thursday, December 28, 2006

Boom Boom Bang

Pow! Right in the Kisser.

He he. The title just came out, I promise, just like that I typed it out and there it was, and it made me chuckle so I kept it. It really doesn't have much to do with anything at all, but then again way more than half of the stuff that I post here is completely unimportant, and dare I even say, boring.

But I stopped over there at dear Francis Porretto's roadside stand where he was offering up some free ice cream and lemonaide, and he was talking about those angry Muslims that want to kill us all and gun control, and the way he approached the subject made a whole lot of sense to me, and it reminded me of a conversation that my husband and I had not too long ago about terrorism and the right to bear arms. Go read the post, and come back over here for the rest of what I've got to say.

Now a couple of weeks ago my husband and I were talking about home safety. You see sometimes I get downright skeered of my own shadow, 'specially when the hubbers is out of town, and it's just me and the youngin' here all alone. (no, I can't stop talking this accent, just work with me here people) We got another dog, she's turned out to be more pet than watch dog, but them burglerizers don't know that besides our male Pit-Bull would happily rip the 'nads off of any intruder, but still sometimes I think, well maybe I should have a nice shiny gun in my nightstand ready to blow some guy's brains out if necessary.

I mentioned that idea to my husband, now he knows me, knows me better than anyone, and he laughed his butt off. I've never so much as held a gun in all my life. I wouldn't know what to do with one anyhow, but I'm pretty smart and I can learn. In fact, my sister and I asked our Uncle, the cop, if he would teach us, he laughed, but said he would. Problem is, he lives two states away. Anyhow, my husband who was in the Marines for a number of years does know how to use one of them things, he could teach me too if he were so inclined, which initially he didn't seem to think it was such a good idea.

He said, "Yeah, I can see you pulling that thing out and pointing it at the guy, and he turns to run, and you shoot him multiple times in the back of the head, and you go to prison for the rest of your life." I said, "Well, just because he starts to run, doesn't mean he wasn't running to get a knife from the kitchen to come back and try to keel me with it, I can't take that chance."

I said, "Well, have you ever thought of this, remember Hurricane Katrina, and how there was madness and mayhem in the city, and no one knew what was going on, or where to go, or anything? Imagine being in that situation, and not being armed." I said, "Now, imagine if there was a major terrorist attack, and massive mayhem on a much larger scale, wouldn't you want to be armed if we were held up here in the house, and all of the police were unable to get things under control, just like with Katrina?"

I don't think it is paranoia to think such things possible. We've had multiple attacks on our citizens, our interests, and even our cities. As the country song said, it was a mighty sucker punch, which is what they intended it to be. Sure, it's not like we didn't know terrorism existed before 9/11, we just didn't think they would do something like that. And as the country song said, we put a boot in their ass, which is good, but that doesn't mean they've given up. By all means, they have not, and will not until their goals are achieved, or they are all dead.

I pray it never comes to that, but worse things have happened, and I have to face facts, there are some really bad people in this world. He and I decided we might check into one of those home alarm systems for now. Our child is too impulsive right now for us to feel comfortable bringing a gun into the house. Maybe when she is older. I imagine he and I will look into something a bit more, umm, powerful to protect ourselves.

That is our personal decision based on what we know about our situation, we have weighed the pros and cons. Until then, I will never support any political candidate that wants to inflict gun control on the law abiding citizens of this country. My grandfather knew this was coming. He ran out and bought a bunch of guns long before the state started regulating things. He knew that the state requiring registration of guns would just make it more convenient for them to come and take them away in the future. I don't know what became of all of those guns, wish I did.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous3:46 PM

    Isn't there any way to find out what happened to your grandfather's guns? Is that side of your family afraid of guns?
    I'm all in favor of good folks arming themselves and learning how to shoot.
    Francis is right.
    Morenuancedthanyou

    ReplyDelete