Thanks To The Wind.
Treacherous roads around these parts. Yesterday I took my sister to work, then took myself to work. She has a fancy little hotrod type car that is horrible on ice and snow, so I took her in my Evil Gas Guzzling SUV. Actually, mine doesn't guzzle gas, it get's pretty good gas mileage. It's the little E of the Ford SUV line, it's cute, AND awesome on snow.
The ice was really thick on the roads. We saw a guy in a Forerunner doing 360's all the way down this particularly icy stretch of road, opposite of the side we were travelling, he was probably going too fast when he hit the ice. We were a somewhat afraid he was going to cross the median and hit us. He was really close, so close I was able to look him straight in the eye, and then he spun on finally landing on the shoulder. Nasty stuff.
We came home that same stretch when I picked her up after work, we knew we had to be very careful. We could have taken another route, but figured we'd rather slide off into the grass than traverse the several icy bridges that the other route offered.
I drive really slow anyway in this weather, and basically give the finger to anyone who gives me trouble about it, they can pass if they are in such a big hurry. As we approached the stretch of road where we saw the guy spinning out of control in the morning, we slowed down in anticipation of much sliding. There were about 5 cars piled up there, and I was glad we slowed down ahead of time. If not we might have been the 6th car in the pile up.
I don't think I've ever seen the streets so icy. The wind has blown the snow off of parts of the road exposing an icy sheet which offers no traction whatsoever. We are supposed to get some more snow, and wind. I will venture out again this morning to go to work, but at least my sister is off today.
Well, I've got to get ready to work. I'm leaving an hour before my shift starts. It's at most a 20 minute drive on dry pavement. Wish me luck. At least it is saturday and most of the M-F 9-5'ers will be off the roads.
No comments:
Post a Comment