Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Safe and Sound

Whew.

Hubby got to his destination safe and sound. He called me at 1:30a.m. to let me know. I was glad to hear it. I worry when he travels. Yesterday the weather was going to be quite nasty for him, and indeed it was he said. He drove slowly and made his way to the rig in one piece. Once there, he slept in his car until this morning when he officially started his week.

I could tell he didn't particularly want to leave yesterday afternoon. I think it was hard for both of us. We did a lot of bonding when we could, but I worked so much over the holiday weekend I think I was just too pooped to be very fun to be around.

Next week will be better for us. I'll be off more, and won't be so tired after work. It seems if we don't have enough time together we have a difficult time parting ways when the time comes. Some people ask, "isn't it hard being apart so much." Well, of course, but in truth, we actually spend much more time together when he is home than we did when he was here working his 9-5 grind.

How can that be? Well, before he always had weekends off, I never had weekends off, so unless one of us requested a certain day off, we never or rarely had even one whole day off together. We did that for well over a year before he changed jobs. Now, the first couple of days he is home, I'm on my days off, so we have more time alone, especially when our kiddo is at school. We can talk, go out to lunch, do shopping, whatever we want. I'm sure any married couple with kids can think of many things to do when the kids are at school.

That time means more to me than a whole week of hit or miss and spending a few hours together in the evening when we both are exhausted, and never having any time together for the most part. So, it works for us most of the time. Sometimes we'd like a little more time before he has to head out, but we know in just a week we'll be together again.

The biggest downside of the whole thing is I worry so much about him when he is gone. Is he warm? Is the weather all right? Is he doing all right? But then, I worry that I worry too much, I'm pretty much just a worry wart. Worry is a weird word isn't it?

Be back later.

No comments:

Post a Comment