Sunday, May 07, 2006

Not Particularly Important To Anyone

Random Stuff.

In November of last year, I was in a car accident, where I was hit from behind while sitting in traffic. I was hit first by one car, then another car hit that car, and I was hit again. It is now May, and my truck sits totalled on the side of the road, the plates have run out, yet, I still have to pay to insure the stupid thing. As of yet, neither insurance company, Allstate, or American Family Insurance has done shit to rectify the situation in any way at all.

My health insurance would not cover any costs of treatment associated with the accident. I have had to essentially pay out of pocket for any treatments I've received as a result of the accident. Since the accident, I have not slept well, and am given to bouts of pain and headaches as a result of the whiplash I got. I was told to see a chiropractor, physical therapist, and receive massage, all of which required that I make an agreement with those people that they would offer services, and be reimbursed when the insurance companies settled my claim. Not exactly an indeal situation when considering, I'm dependent on the insurance companies doing the right thing, and actually paying those people, or I will be forced to.

I take advil, and occasionally a mild muscle relaxant on nights where my neck feels particularly stiff. I don't go to the chiropractor twice a week, have physical therapy twice a week, or get massage twice a week because:

1. I'm not comfortable racking up bills in the thousands while relying on an insurance company to get off it's ass and pay for it if they even do. It's something about us being a tort state, which basically means, everyone get's screwed, except the insurance company.

2. I'm not going to be compensated for time that would take away from my job, and my life because I refuse to give these insurance companies permission to contact my employer and ask all sorts of nosy questions which is none of their gosh darn business.

3. I don't think it is my employers business that I'm filing a claim against these insurance companies. My health, and private life is still my own business, and I don't want my bosses knowing my personal stuff.

So, I am taking care of myself. I get massaged when I can. Perhaps, my long term pain will be more because I didn't follow their orders, but since I'm not the one who was at fault in the accident, I don't feel the need to be directed by some shitty insurance company who just wants to screw around with my life and time.

More was taken in the accident than the insurance companies would even consider paying for. How about the fact I was driving that old truck because it was inexpensive, and we were trying to save for a house at the time, and didn't want to try to get financing while being saddled with a car payment. They see that truck as having a small monetary value, I saw it as my transportation to and from work, worth much more than a couple thousand dollars. Since my transportation was destroyed, I've had to buy another car, am now paying full coverage insurance for it, and our plans to buy a home have been put off at least 4 months beyond our original goal, that's if we can even get financed with these car payments. That's just my tough luck I guess.

All they had to do was own up to it, pay for my truck, and post accident care, and my troubles but since they have dicked around so much, I had to get an attorney to deal with them, I don't have the knowledge or the time to deal with two bickering insurance companies, now they must pay him as well. I don't know when, if ever this thing will be resolved. I'm doing the best I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment