Right Off A Cliff.
The other day this fellow and I were having a friendly discussion about gas prices, and I made a statement to the effect that perhaps people who wanted to stand in the way of oil production should stop driving and leave the rest of us alone. A bystander piped up with, "well, the people who don't want the drilling have given up their cars, and most of them ride bikes, and I'm going to get rid of my car just as soon as I can..."
To which I succinctly replied, "well, I'm not giving up my car, and I don't have to." Oh but there was so much more I wanted to say. First, I wanted to call bullshit. This person actually commutes 70 miles each way, to and from work, a fact which I politely did not point out. I drive less than 10 miles each way. Who is the greedy one? Who is the hypocrite? I'm not suggesting anyone else should give up their transportation and ride bikes for a start. We should all give up driving our gas guzzlers because 5 of these people actually stood on their own laurels and gave up their car? They don't want to give up their cars, they've got plenty of reasons why you should though, but their lives and well being and circumstances are so much more important than yours are.
The person did have a point though, she said, "well, most of them live in big cities where they can use public transport, or ride bikes to work..." Again, it would have been just too easy to smear her nose in it in much the same way that one would do to a puppy who just pee'd on the floor. So, we should all just up and move to New York city I guess. We can all live in an urban area, yeah, everyone can do that. We don't need farms, or rural communities, and we most certainly don't need those snotty suburbs where all the heterosexual s.u.v. drivers live. We can grow tomatoes and green beans on our balconeys, we can heat our studio apartments in the winter with the heat given off from the compost heap in our living room.
Just where does she think the veggies she worships come from? Does she think that people living in Manhattan board some train and head out of town to work in fields?
Right now we need oil, we need gas, plain and simple. This country has it's own oil and gas, now I'm not necessarily opposed to buying someone else's, however if we were to depend on our own, we would be doing our part as my dad says, to put those sheiks back on the camels. We have our own, and we need to gather it and refine it for use. Sure, I think we should conserve, preserve, and use resources wisely, that's only smart, that does not preclude our needs.
Seriously, I can't imagine what would happen if the oil and gas just stopped. How many people use gas to heat their homes in the winter? I'm sure it would impact us in ways no one could even imagine. Now, I realize your average hippy doesn't take showers as often as everyone else, but I'm sure, even when they do, they, like the French, want their weekly shower to be with hot water.
Who are these people? Really? I don't see any bike riding commuters around here. Something smells funny. The hypocrisy is outrageous. This is a classic case of what's good for the goose is not good for the gander. Do as I say, and not as I do.
Release the frickin' oil and gas already.
My inspiration today.
No comments:
Post a Comment