Sunday, May 07, 2006

We Are Naked

Unprotected.

While my husband gets his feet wet in his new job, our family has taken the calculated risk of going without health insurance. I know for illegal immigrants that's not such a scary thing, but for us regular tax payers, it's scary as hell. My husband had great health coverage in his last job, the only thing was, his job itself didn't pay that well, so we had to take the risk, in the hopes we'll make it.

It takes 4 months from the date of hire to be eligible for health coverage at his new job, so we are biding our time. What could happen in 4 months? Ha! Anything. I tell you, with even the smallest sniffle, I'm telling our daughter, "don't get sick, we don't have health insurance!" More than once I've said, "Don't jump on that, if you fall and break a limb, we don't have health insurance!" A little wishful thinking on our parts can go a long way. Well, aside from a strep throat infection, she's done really well. Granted that infection is going to cost us a couple hundred of dollars, and that's all if we're lucky! We haven't received the bill yet though.

We're one major health incident away from financial catastrophe. You see, my husband's income is such we would not qualify for any assistance at all, yet, we've not had a long time to save the increased income. We're about halfway through now. Hopefully we can make it. Since our daughter has Spherocytosis, certain mild viruses can put her in the hospital receiving blood transfusions, although it's not likely. This is always in the back of my mind. Of course there is no price on our precious offspring's health, but we'd rather have health coverage in any case.

There are many other things that can happen, including a giant asteroid hitting our little section of the earth, or God forbid, the bird flu, I'm thinking we should be all right though. Knock on something.

Odwalla fruit drinks, that's our coverage. I notice we're drinking a lot more fruit juices, and eating more fruit, hopefully to stave off illness.

No comments:

Post a Comment