Grocery Store Shoppers.
When I was young I thought working in a grocery store would be a fun job, so when I got a job at the customer service desk in one a few years ago I was really excited about it. Oh was I ever wrong. It was not the pleasant customer interaction I had envisioned at all. My co-workers were often unpleasant and surly, and management were a bunch of ill breed baffoons. And the customers, my goodness, the customers, how can I say it? What a horrible lot.
Most people know that you don't mistreat the people who are handling your food, and those who don't understand this rule, well I pity you, you are a fool. At the customer service desk though, all bets are off. A day at the desk meant, selling people cigarettes, lottos, movie rentals, money orders and taking returns. One would think the people trying to return items they are displeased with would be the majority of the problem, but no, most of them were unusually polite as they should be. Most of the returners were scamming anyway, so they didn't want to draw attention to themselves in a negative light. These were the people who would bring in a quarter of a loaf of moldy bread expecting a refund, which was then taken next door the liquor store for a pint of some horrible tasting cheap liquor.
No, surprisingly, the most memorable mean customer was an old lady wearing too much rouge. This woman walked up to my desk one day asking for money orders, for "a hundred and thirty". I said, "you want a money order for a hundred and a thirty?" And it went like this:
Old lady: Scowls, "That's what I said, a hundred and thirty"
Me: "So, a money order for 100 and a money order for 30?"
Old lady: Snarls, "That's what I said, what are you some sort of idiot?"
Me: Glance at my supervisor who is observing the exchange
Old lady: Growls, "What are you looking at her for? She's an idiot too."
Supervisor: "Don't bring me into this, I'm just standing here."
Old lady: "What's wrong with her?" (points at me) "Is she stupid or something?"
Me: "Ok, so two money orders then?"
Old lady: "What an idiot!"
Supervisor: (wanders off)
That's how it went. Later that day, one of my nicer co-workers came in and I told her about the exchange with the customer, and she said, "Well, you would have to be stupid to work here."
My supervisor who seemed nice the first few days, got mean thereafter. There was a point that she treated me like a person, and then, one day, she stopped. I came in one day, and she said, "You stocked the cigarettes wrong." I said, "Oh, I'm sorry, what did I do wrong?" She showed me and then said, "And don't LET it happen again." I laughed, and said, "oh all right." and smiled, and she looked me straight in the face without even a hint of a smile and said, "I'm not joking.'' And she wasn't.
I walked past the Store Directors office one day, and overheard her speaking to one of her henchmen, err I mean managers. The conversation went like this:
Manager: "so and so called in sick"
Director: "tell him if he calls in again he could be fired"
Manager: "it's his first time"
Director: "let him know now that we don't tolerate people calling in"
Then there were the soccer moms. They came in with a gaggle of pre-teen girls, decided to skip standing in line at the check out and instead walked up to my desk and dropped about 40 pieces of candy on the counter. Our registers were sort of dated, and there was not a function to ring up multiple items at the same time. So, I started ringing them up, and the really pushy soccer mom sniffed and sighed and finally said, "What the hell? Can't you ring them up all at once?" I said, "No, we don't have that function on our register." I know because I had asked about it before these two bimbos had ever shown up at my desk. Here's how it went after that:
Snotty Soccer Mom: (rolls eyes) "Oh my God, this is ridiculous, you've got to be kidding me."
Me: "Sorry, there just isn't an @ function for several items at once"
Snotty Soccer Mom: (smirks, rolls eyes, expresses utter annoyance) "I'm sure there has to be, maybe you just don't know what you're doing!!"
Me: "Well, if you like I could call a manager and see if she can help"
Snotty Soccer Mom: (shakes head, rolls eyes) "There's got to be a faster way to do this"
Me: "One moment, let me call a manager" I'm doing that now just to piss her off, since she's so impatient, I figure she'll just love waiting on a manager.
Snotty Soccer Mom: (looks at her friend in disbelief) "This is ridiculous!"
Me: (laughing inside because every time she complains it takes longer to ring her up)
Me: (on the phone with manager) "Could you come to the desk, am having a problem with register, the customer would like to know why I can't ring up multiple items at once."
Manager: "tell her we can't do that"
Me: "could you please come and tell her, she's really mad, and doesn't believe me"
Manager: (sighs) "all right, I'll be there in a minute."
Me: (walk back over to register/customer) "A manager is coming to help you, since I apparently can't do it right" (walk away)
Snotty Soccer Mom: (looks about to blow)
Manager: (shows up about 5 minutes later)
Snotty Soccer Mom: (highly annoyed) "I can't believe this! Why can't she ring up my items at once?"
Manager: "our register cannot ring up multiple items at once ma'am"
Blah blah blah, manager makes me finish ringing her up.
Snotty Soccer Mom: (BITCH personified) "I can't believe how long this took!"
Me: (beyond caring at this point) "Would have taken a lot less time if you had just let me do it how I was doing it"
Snotty Soccer Mom: Hrrumph!
Believe it or not, every day was much more of the same. I worked at that job for 6 weeks, and finally, I called them one day and said, "Hey, I'm not coming back." I had a very strong job lead, which I later got, and I told those horrible people at that grocery store to kiss off. To this day I have not stepped back in that store, and I refuse to shop there, no matter what they have on sale. My friends and family secretly shop there behind my back, but I won't. It's the principle of the thing, I know I'm not affecting that stores sales at all, but I simply cannot bring myself to walk through those doors of unhappiness ever again.
I've worked fast food, I've worked day care, retail, and other types of places, but the grocery store was the worst as far as the customers went. The day care was awful beyond words as the management went, they were just terrible to us, but serving customers at that grocery store jaded my view of the public forever.
Wow. Maybe those holy rollers that came into the restaurant I worked at when I was 19 weren't so bad. I mean, it was really just the one man that was such a jerk. Ah, but despite his obvious disdain for having to be waited on by a girl with short hair and tight jeans, I had the pleasure of slipping in ice cream that was on the floor the night they ordered 23 ice cream cones, going down while holding 4 cones (which hurt the one knee that hit the tile floor) and not spilling a drop of ice cream off those cones, nor did I crush the cones. Just got up with a laugh (cause all my co-workers were dying) and handed those kids and moms their cones with a smile that I certainly wasn't feeling. Kill em with kindness.
ReplyDeleteHeh. I didn't intend to throw all that up. LOL Anyway, what I meant to just say is, it makes a big difference, I think, in customer courtesy to the grocery/fast food/retail/whatever employees if said customer has been on the other side of that register. Just the other day I was at a store, and noticed quite the sour expression on the lady working the register I picked. So, I put on my happy face (which I wasn't feeling because I had the 11-year-old with me) and made it a point to be friendly to her. You know, her expression softened considerably, and I hope that gave her a pick-me-up.
Oh, and I had quite the giggle over "My friends and family secretly shop there behind my back." Guess they aren't too secret about it. LOL
Try dealing with the customers at a public library.
ReplyDeletevery funny posting!
ReplyDeleteDo you ever find yourself on the other side of the fence? I do.
Even though I don't intend to, and I start every day having empathy for every employee I come across in my daily/weekly life, I can't help getting frustrated and calling people stupid (not out loud), or thinking "come on I know you could do that a lot faster if you didn't spend all day talking to your colleague or the customer in front of me about nothing important."
You see my point I hope. I think I'm a nice guy and I don't intend to upset anyone. I also really like people, but the smallest things can become very frustrating when out in public. And why do things take twice as long when we need to be somewhere like 10 minutes ago?
Oh well, that's life!
Keep up the social commenting x