Today.
I've got one day off then it's back to the grindstone, I'll work two days, then have two glorious days off. My house has gone to hell in hand basket, and I've got a list as grand as the pile of laundry needing done. Plus! The kiddo and I have come up with a decorating project for her room that will take some doing. Am I the only fool dreaming if we fix her room up nice she'll keep it clean?
Then there is the rest of the house, not for decorating, it just needs a good cleaning, but what else is new. Honestly I have no intention of making this post about cleaning although I've got plenty of material for it.
No, this post is to ask a question. What the hell has feminism done for me lately? I ask this question all the time. I ask my girlfriends, what has feminism done for you lately? Hmm? They all have pretty much the same answer, which in summary is: I now get to work as much as a man, and still try to mother at the same time, which any mother, except for Supermom's will tell you is a total crock.
Actually, I admit feminism has really done a lot for women. I think we are much more free today than ever, and I literally shudder when I think of how other women in this world have it. I have a say over my own life and destiny, well, I can work in any career I choose anyway. That is nice. Not all women want to be housewives. Not all women are in a position to be dependent on a man. I get that.
Now, it is expected that women will work outside the home, that they will be equal earners, or at least put in the same amount of hours at it as their faithful husbands. Guys don't want to carry the burden alone anymore, I don't necessarily blame them for that.
What are we to do when it comes to having a family? Well, men are supposed to help out more with the children. Men are supposed to help more with the household chores.
My mom was a supermom, she worked a hard physical job for over 30 years. She was a nurse. She ended up with a broke back, and a handicap sticker. She worked until her back just couldn't allow anymore. She took care of us kids, and the house. Dad kept the outside chores done, mom never pushed a lawn mower, or planted a flower. She was too busy running after us rug rats to deal with that stuff.
I don't know, I just know I wanted my mom home. I missed her when she was working. She never acted tired, even though I know she must have been exhausted. We were latch key kids. I'm sure that works for a lot of people. I'm sure my parents felt they couldn't make it without my mom's income. It's just the same with my husband and I, we have become dependent on my paychecks as well.
So, I better get to work. I've got one day off now, I shouldn't waste it lolly gagging around blogging and surfing the internet. This pig stye isn't going to clean itself. Today is the day.
While Mom at home must be great, I wouldn't know. My mom worked.
ReplyDeleteOtherwise, feminism is great for sure. How could it be different?
I wouldn't know either, my mom worked as well, as do I.
ReplyDeleteI wouldn't propose we turn back time or anything. I'm very happy to have the freedom and rights that I exercise as a woman, but now what? In a way it seems the point that we've reached is women are expected to work outside the home, and sometimes I would just rather be a housewife. I'm not really supposed to say that though.
It seems to just be part of our culture now. I think the expectations that men have of their wives has changed too--they expect their wives to work full-time as well, although, most of the women I know work and still bear the majority of household chores and raising the children.
It's just so exhausting. I think I'm just tired, and when I feel like this, I think, is this it? Wow, umm, thanks?
I was fortunate that when my kids were younger I worked opposite hours from my husband. I was home during the daytime. I didn't work until all the kids were in school. That was something we had discussed before we even had the kids.
ReplyDeleteI think one of the most under rated jobs in the world is that of being a stay at home mom. And one that has been put in a really bad light by most feminists.