Day One.
Whew. We successfully completed day one of home schooling. What a relief. I can say this now, I have been nearly having anxiety attacks about this thing. I know that sounds completely dramatic to say it that way, but I have really been nervous about it. What can I say? I just don't want to screw this up. Anyway, I think we both have had an enormous confidence boost by our success today.
I'm not going to say it was easy because it wasn't, but we made it, and I only started to yell once. My friend who home schooled her kids told me "no matter what, don't yell at her." I understand her logic on that, and want to keep this really positive. I think she pretty much hates it so far, but I caught her being interested a couple of times. I watched her completely shut down and tune me out a couple of times as well, it was hard to pull her back in. Well we are both new to this so I guess we will go through some rough patches until we get a good rhythm going.
Honestly, I was having trouble figuring out what exactly I was supposed to do with all the books and stuff I ordered, some subjects did not come with workbooks, but are covered online. There is an online portion with the curriculum, and it was a little confusing as to how it all fit together, hence, starting a day later than we planned. Long story short, we dove in head first today, and finally figured things out. Man, I can't imagine doing this without some sort of plan to follow. That is going to help immensely.
We worked for 6 hours with a few breaks thrown in here and there. It took us a bit longer I think because we had to go through all of the supplies to get this and that item we needed, now we sort of have a better feel for what goes with what. I think we are going to do just fine, and I can say with confidence that my child is now one of the U.S. Americans that can find the U.S. on a map. That's pretty cool. She liked the geography stuff.
So, that was day one. Just one day. I think we are going to be all right.
Good for you! It will get easier with time.
ReplyDeleteThe nice thing is that you can take breaks when you or your daughter needs them, or change the routine when it becomes too routine.
Yes, I think we can have a lot of fun once we get through the rough patches. We are really looking forward to our first field trip, my sister is taking the day off and going with us.
ReplyDelete