Monday, August 13, 2007

I've Been Thinking About Pie

Peach Pie.

I walked past a bin of peaches at the grocery store, and all I could think about was my mom's peach pie. I remember one summer, my mother, in a manic episode went to the farmer's market and came back with a ton of peaches. I think she and her friend ended up making about 12 peach pies during that time period. That is when I discovered my love of homemade peach pie.

Of course, we all got so sick and tired of the peach pies, and I think she did too because she never made that many pies at once again. I think they ended up giving several of them away. But it has been over 20 years since then, and I think I'm finally ready for some homemade peach pie.

I might pick up some peaches and show up at my mom's sometime this week and make pie with her. That would be so fun. My mom was great about letting go of the reigns and letting her girls get messy and bake things when we were kids. Baking with my mom is a fond memory we have. I'm sure my daughter would enjoy baking pies at grandma's house.

All of the years that my husband and I were away from home on the holidays, it was always hard to know that my mom and sister were having their bake day without me. I always missed that. My mom could never stand the idea of us being away from home during the holidays, she used to get really sad about it.

Life is too short, I know it is a cliche, but it is true. I spend too much time worrying about my house being clean when it never is, and it never stays clean for more than a day or two, and I have to face the fact that we are just not going to live in an immaculate house, when what I really should be doing is enjoying this wonderful life I've been given, and spending time with the people I care about.

Yesterday I stopped by my parent's house for a few minutes after work, I always look in the fridge when I'm there, it is a compulsion. She had about 3 pies in there, all store bought of course. I couldn't believe it. So many pies. I don't know how they eat all that pie, but somehow they manage I guess. The have nicknamed one of their dogs "pie face" so I think I know who is eating at least some of the pies.

I hate that summer is almost over, although I love fall. We can make apple pies in the fall though. Life used to be so simple. I like simple.


No comments:

Post a Comment