Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Cantaloupe

Mmmm.

I got up super early this morning. There I was snoozing away, and my husband gently nudged me to wake up requesting that I go talk with him while he gets ready to go to work. How could I resist? Of course I couldn't so I got up. I cut his cantaloupe for him, and put perfect bite sized chunks in plastic containers so that he could munch on them as he travels afar.

The cantaloupe was deliciously ripe, and wonderful tasting, and why wouldn't it be? It was a Rocky Ford cantaloupe after all. This brought back so many memories for me. We always used to stop at Rocky Ford to pick up cantaloupes for my grandfather as we made our way eastward to visit, and then we would spend a few days eating the great melons, and spending time with people we rarely got to see. I can't eat one without thinking of my grandfather, or my mother for that matter. Those were good times.

Unfortunately, as I've aged I can't eat them anymore, I get a terrible stomach ache after eating any sort of melon. This goes for watermelon as well, I'm disappointed to say. Well, I did take my chance and eat one single bite of the melon I bought just for my hubby. He loves cantaloupe and CAN eat it without extreme pain being involved. Lucky guy. Oh that one bite was so delicious. Mmm. I knew better than to chance a second, it does not take much to really cause me a great deal of pain. I felt good sending it off with hubby anyway. He will munch on that thing all day today.

And another week begins...

No comments:

Post a Comment