Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Politics Schmolitics

Boring.

I will bore you now. A few years ago I became almost obsessed with politics, like a lot of people after 9-11, I was suddenly aware that things weren't what they seemed. Now, I was not completely in the dark pre-911, but I was happily living oblivious to some of the things that were going on in the world.

I have always been a conservative, and even voted for Bush Sr. my first time. I haven't voted in every election since, but I plan to vote in the rest of them from here on out. I watched the CCN--typo, I really want to leave it, it looks more accurate and reminds me of the Soviets--I mean, the CNN-You Tube debate with the Dems last night, I didn't see the whole thing so perhaps this was addressed prior to our tuning in, but I want to know why oh why these people were not pressed, pinned and tied down on WHO exactly they plan to have pay for their commie socialized medicine programs! Because I have a sinking feeling it will be my husband and I, and I am not happy with that prospect at all.

Now, I caught this interview with Michael Moore on Hardball with Chris Matthews who wasn't fooling us at all with the soft balls he was pitching. All right, I admit it, I was slumming yesterday. Fox News kept talking about that stupid NBA ref scandal, which is beyond boring because I TOTALLY do not care about the story at ALL. So, I caught myself flipping over, and there he was, Michael Moore, being interviewed.

All right, so I wanted to hear what he had to say because it frightens me how many people swallow his ideas, which really aren't originally his ideas at all, but there are literally probably millions of people out there who have no clue what exactly he is trying to do which is turn us into a bunch of commies like himself. You see, he readily admits that he has good health insurance, but he wants everyone to have it too, but not in a competitive market place, but run by the government which is absolutely the stupidest thing I have ever heard of.

He uses the argument with his opponents, that, "do you think the soldiers should have free health care, and if so, why don't you want everyone to have that?" Oh Gosh! Someone brought up Walter Reed, and he responded that it is not that the government messed it up, but the administration overseeing it. The point that should have been made, but was lost is how inept the military health care system is compared to the civilian system. Don't get me wrong, it is much better than CUBA I am sure, and there are loopholes in place that will allow the savvy recipients of military health care to get out and actually be seen by providers in the civilian community, which is a far cry better than what the Cuban peasantry are stuck with. They have no choices, at all.

And another bone I have to pick with this question of soldiers receiving "free" health care, they EARN the BENEFIT by their service, work, blood, sweat and tears. It is a system somewhat different than the insurance we can purchase through our employers, but the requirement is the same: that one must work--be employed--to get it.

Don't get me wrong on this, there are a lot of great, talented, and skilled people working in medical in the military. One with no health problems of any particularly serious nature can get by quite well with more than adequate care. However, a lot of mistakes are made, and the quality of services, facilities, and care are serious problems that exist widely within that system--too widely. I realize that mistakes can happen anywhere, but I'm here to tell you, things are not great within the military health system. It is not a shining example of socialized medicine, but I think it is representative of what we will get were we to be foolish enough to let the purveyors of such great institutions as the DMV, and the IRS take over our health care.

I spent over 10 years as a military dependent using that system. I've heard many tales, and experienced my own. I will NEVER support a candidate that wants to give me more of that good ole government run health care. Never. I would rather my tax money go to pay for health insurance for the poor than hand over the greatest health care system in the world to those dick heads in Washington.

No comments:

Post a Comment