Sunday, July 29, 2007

I Don't Like To Say This

Don't Ask Me.

What if I was to say what I really think about any and every thing? What would happen? These are the questions that make me feel like a big old coward because some things are just too unpleasant to say, or even think for that matter.

So, I can't say things like, I think the problem in Iraq is that the opposition has not been sufficiently crushed into submission, and I think the only way to do that is to bomb the place until they beg us to stop. I can't say that. It sounds so cruel, what a horrible thing to suggest. It is in so many ways acknowledging that the deaths of innocent civilians is the one thing that will break the will of the insurgents and draw them out into the open, and out of their protective hiding behind the people there. No politician would ever dare say such a thing, perhaps most sane people would not say such a thing, it is certainly not an option I hear discussed on the nightly news--ever. I don't think anyone could stomach such an option, and therein lies the problem.

I'm no history buff, but what little I do know of wars, they aren't won by holding hands and making friends. More troops la la la. It is obvious to me that I do not understand this war at all. Perhaps it is not a war? I don't know what it is, but I don't think they, nor many others are falling for it.

Goodness, what am I saying? This is crazy talk. I'm just a normal person, I have no answers. I believe one thing, the politicians screwed up this whole thing. The troops were practically set up for failure. They deserve better.

All the crazy talk aside, and that is what it is. I can honestly say, I don't understand the war in Iraq. I simply don't get it, and that is why I reserve opinion on the subject 99% of the time. I really don't have the stomach for this waffling about, but then again, this is a rather unconventional war. It is probably best not to try and view it as something so cut and dry. Can I just admit I don't know what to think? Because I really don't. And it is not because I haven't been paying attention, or that I'm too busy watching reality t.v. because I quit that stuff cold turkey a long time ago.

And you know what? I don't think I am alone in this. I think quite a lot of people don't know what to make of things either. I will say this, the absolutely wrong thing to do now would be to cut and run, that would be a huge mistake. We have to see this through, and completely change tactics.

Now, would you prefer I stick to blogging about house cleaning and laundry? Because right now that seems a lot easier to tackle.

2 comments:

  1. You have said very well what most people hesitate to express.

    According to General Sherman, war is hell. And he was in a position to know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:42 PM

    On the other hand, the real problem in Iraq is that the opposition has not been sufficiently crushed into submission.

    See? That wasn't so hard.

    ReplyDelete