Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Spring Changes

Time Rolls On.

I love spring. Yesterday we had a minor blip in our Spring weather, it was pretty major in some parts, but not where I live. I had to bring in my new pots of flowers, but they were fine in the garage. It was not super cold, but it was extremely windy, and I thought it might get too cold for the plants.

The kiddo is going through a growth spurt. She's been really tired, hungry, and suddenly very concerned about bathing and combing her hair. This is a new thing. My sister used to joke that my daughter only takes 52 baths a year, and we would laugh to ourselves. I hear from other parents that sometimes kids go through this phase. There comes a point in time where bathing is viewed as optional, a chore even. Everyone knows we have been going through this phase for a while.

It is not a particularly pleasant time for the parents of children with soap and water aversions, but if one is patient the phase ends (in best case scenarios of course, I have known of people who seem to enter adulthood stuck in this phase). In our case it went on for what seems like years, in fact, I think this has been something we have been dealing with for years now, but I think we are coming out of it and the future where I can proudly proclaim that my child takes 365 baths a year may be just around the corner. She has taken two baths today so we may be onto something yet.

Just last summer I remember arguing with her that just because she goes swimming everyday, it is not the same as bathing. My friend and I even contemplated throwing a bar of soap in the pool with her and encouraging her to use it, but thought that might offend the other swimmers. She seemed to think immersing herself in a swimming pool for hours would do just as well as a washcloth and a good old bar of soap, I had difficulty convincing her otherwise.

And so we've reached a new high, the point where the girl looks at me and says, "Mom, can I go take another bath?" Oh how long I have waited for this day.

2 comments:

  1. A great story. My grandson has gone through this. I believe the cur is interest in the other sex.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I hear. According to seasoned veterans, "you can't get her in the bathroom now, pretty soon you won't be able to get her out of the bathroom."

    ReplyDelete