Thursday, March 08, 2007

That Time of Year Again

Cookie Blackmail.

For days I've managed to not buy a box of girl scout cookies. It is that time of year where friendships are put to the test, and the only determining factor of how good a friend is can be seen in the number of boxes of girl scout cookies they buy from your kid, well you actually, because 9 times out of 10 it is the parents who are pushing these things. There is not a store in town which is not staked out by these zealots, these fanatical cookies sellers.

What exactly they get from selling all of these boxes of cookies is what remains a mystery to me. I would stop and ask, but then I would get the pouty hurt look if I didn't buy 12 boxes to take home with me. I'm really not into breaking kid's hearts. They really want us to buy these things.

Well guess what? I don't want to buy any. And according to some people that makes me a scrooge of the most evil nature. "We neeeeed to support themmmm!" they cry to me. Why? Why do I have to buy over priced cookies to show support of complete stranger's children? Why do I even need to support other people's children? Answer that question there Mister Smarty Pants. How about I just don't want any darn cookies? Sheesh if I were to say that all hell would break lose, soccer moms and dads in mini vans would circle my block with signs while screaming profanities at me for my selfishness.

If people want to buy them great, if I don't want to buy them leave me alone about it. I got tricked into the selling girl scout cookies when I was a kid. I honestly do not remember what the purpose of it was. I think we got a badge or something, maybe we made some money to take our troop on a field trip or something. I don't even remember, I do recall my parents doing most of the work by taking the things to their workplaces and bugging their co-workers into buying them. Most places won't even allow people to bring in stuff their kids are selling anymore. This is why they stake out store entrances now.

I refuse to feel guilty about not buying the cookies. I just don't want any.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:28 AM

    I was never a girl scout, but I can remember selling stuff for school fundraisers and I HATED it. So now, whenever my kids bring some crap home to sell, I either send it right back with them or put it right in the trash. And I let everyone I work with know that there is a reason I don't bring my kids' crap in to sell.

    Ugh, I could just go on and on ranting about why I hate that. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:14 PM

    I'll buy a few boxes, but because I like 'em. I don't go do the 12 box route.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I send the stuff back too. I don't sell the stuff.

    ReplyDelete