Thursday, March 08, 2007

I Woke Up To Two Hundred and Forty Problems Today

That's What I Get.

Procrastinating never pays. This is the lesson that college courses are really meant to teach. Sure, people think they are being given a well rounded education in math, science, history and English, but what they are really being taught is how not to let molehills turn into mountains. If one can master that, then by golly he is master of all.

I wasn't actually so much guilty of procrastinating as I was giving too much time to my other class, and that is what landed me in the position of waking up to 240 math problems to do this morning before I went to class today. It keeps working out this way because my other class takes so much time for reading and note taking that by the time I get done it is bed time and I have to put the math off until the morning right before class.

Oh well, at least I enjoy the math. I can't believe I'm saying that. I never really liked it, but I've found it much more fun then I remember it being. My father would be proud, he would love nothing more than to have one of his children follow in his footsteps and be a total math nerd. For years I remember my father spending countless hours in his office working various math problems. For fun. He did it for fun. I could never understand that, but now I do. There is something very satisfying about completing several steps to find that one has arrived at a correct answer.

All right, I admit I'm at a very beginning level in math, but I keep thinking each time I go to class, if I master this, I am ready for the next thing, and I will just keep getting it all until suddenly I will look up and I'm doing calculus or something.

I keep saying to myself, so this is what it is like to be a non-traditional student. I can't get enough of this stuff. Yes, I'm a lot more stressed out and busy with it, but everyday I think I am taking one more step towards something new. It is exciting stuff.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:19 AM

    I never really considered myself a "math nerd" because I would never ever sit and work on math problems for fun. But, that's the way I feel about programming. :-)

    ReplyDelete