Saturday, February 24, 2007

Furniture Store

Yes!

We went tonight. I love looking at furniture. Even when I was a kid I would go to the furniture section and look at all of the beautiful stuff there and imagine living with such nice stuff. My friend since third grade and I decided to take our daughters out to eat, and after dinner decided to head to the furniture store. It is a pretty big store with lots and lots of pretty and expensive and even some not so expensive things to look at, and of course the kids ran off to find the "kid" furniture.

My daughter has grown very tired of her little girl day bed thing, she was immediately drawn toward the many bunk beds they have there. Of course I told her, "I'm not buying you a bunk bed, in two years you won't want it anymore." This was not enough to persuade her, she wanted it now. Two years is so far away. We moved on, but she didn't forget the bed she wanted, which frankly looked like something they would have prison inmates sleep on. It was metal, and looked like something straight out of a jail house. The thing that she really liked about it though was that under the top bed it had a computer desk and chair and all of that jazz.

Of course I wasn't there to make any big furniture purchases anyway no matter how many times she said, "Please!!!" Beg. Pout. I knew that just like I did when I was a kid, she was imagining this wonderful--to any prison inmate--bed in her room with her stuff all around it looking very cool. I was imagining her in Jr. High begging me to get that kiddie bunk bed out of her room. The wallet won, and we left without any metal prison furniture, or any other thing for that matter.

I felt pleased with myself for not buying that really nice table for only $143.00. Resist. That is the good thing about having a small house, I find it much easier to NOT justify buying a piece of furniture that will not fit anyway.

Finally, we got in the car to head home. She was still trying to plead her case, my friend said, "Oh my gosh, be happy with what you have, you could live in Cambodia or something!" To which I inevitably had to add, "Yeah, just think, you might already be married off in some places!" Of course we laughed because she was so completely mortified by the idea. I guess the thought of marriage brought the point home because she didn't mention the bunk bed anymore.

That was that, and now I'm off to bed. I'm completely and totally pooped.

3 comments:

  1. Hello "that broad" "wonderful--to any prison inmate--bed" I almost spit my coffee out at that comment. I make wood bunk and loft beds here- http://stubborn-norwegian.com and I was thinking about writing something on my sight about metal beds "having all the charm of a bunker on a WW2 destroyer". I like the prison comparison He He.. Good luck with that bed search thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe. We will continue searching...:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:55 PM

    Your post reminded me as to what my sister and I used to do in carpet stores. The big ramp-like displays which showcase many styles at once were a lot of fun to slide on, belly side down of course. I can remember getting a lot of "looks" during those days.

    Btw, thanks for stopping by my blog. :)

    Best -
    Braden

    ReplyDelete