Why Not?
Are you over it yet? I think I've finally recovered from it. Although I still feel a bit under the weather, I think by the end of January I will have recovered from the stress of it all. I'm talking about the holidays. Never have I felt it like I did this time. I've heard people bemoan the commercialization of it all before, I never really saw it. I thought buying presents, shopping, the crowds, the excess was all part of the fun, but I guess I've finally reached the age where it becomes not fun.
Funny thing about working all of the holidays, you gain quite a different perspective on the whole thing. The only thing I thought about the holidays, was not about the presents, it was about the time with family I was missing. It was about mom's cooking, and sitting around the table enjoying each other's company, all of us, together. That's what it's all about for us. Simple.
December was quite a cranky month for a lot us. I notice at work people are really sort of burned out. We seem to be getting back to normal, but it was touch and go for a while there. I saw sides of my co-workers that they generally don't show at work, I was unable to contain myself at times as well. I figure it will take another week or two for people to feel better.
This is not what the holidays are supposed to be about. We've strayed so far. I'm not going to do it this way again. I'll work yes, that I must do, but I'm not doing all of that shopping, and stressing again. I think the 3 blizzards we had really sort of added to the pressure. People couldn't get out to do that last minute shopping. I ended up buying gift cards at the last minute at the grocery store. It was just nuts.
I'm so over it. I'm leaving the herd. I'm not doing it again. I'll buy the kiddo stuff, but that's it.
I was completely "bah humbug" this holiday season so I understand totally. :-)
ReplyDeleteSorry to hear I'm not the only one.
ReplyDelete