Monday, December 25, 2006

No Place Like Home

For the Holidays.

No truer words have been spoken. People, stay home for the holidays. I mean this sincerely. Make sure that you have everything done before Christmas Eve and Christmas because I'm telling you honestly, people don't want to serve you on Christmas. They want to be home with their own families, not taking care of YOU and making YOU feel special. The rest of the year it can be all about you, fine.

But let me tell you this, if you think that person serving you is happy about it, think again. They have to do it you see. Most likely their employer gave them no choice about the matter whatsoever. If they don't do it, they will not be in good standing with their employer. Perhaps they really like their job, and realize that they have to do it to keep their job the rest of the year. It is up to you to keep your behind at home on the holidays giving employers the only incentive they need to close down: there are no customers to serve.

Since I'm being frank here, saying, "Ohhhh, I'm sorry you have to work on Christmas!" to someone who is serving you will cause them to clench their teeth. You see, we have to work BECAUSE YOU are here, if YOU weren't here, we could go home, but since YOU are here, so must we be. Don't assume that everyone who is serving you is being paid double pay, or holiday pay, in fact, most probably aren't. Don't assume that all employers give each employee at least one of the holidays off, most probably don't. Which reminds me, avoid statements like, "I'm sorry you have to work Thanksgiving, at least you will get Christmas off right?" Umm, no. "Well at least you get extra pay right?" Umm, no. "oh."

I'm serious. Even people with no family around would rather be off on Christmas. No one likes working on Christmas. I realize there are people who are in positions that are quite needed everyday of the year. Emergency room staff, firefighters, police and so on, but a lot of people are working who are not in critical lifesaving professions, and it is for one reason and one reason alone, someone is making the big bucks off of you people who just won't stay home, and it is NOT the people who are serving you. I'm just saying what the people would say if they could.

You got that? Enough said?

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:11 AM

    Oh I heard that "I'm so sorry you had to work today" about 100 times yesterday. I couldn't believe the amount of people doing FULL grocery shopping, not just the "I forgot the butter" stuff.

    ReplyDelete