Ever.
I've talked about this before, but I think it was on the old blog I deleted a few months ago. Anyway, it doesn't matter. This afternoon I found myself remembering how completely awful my experience was working at a daycare center.
It most certainly wasn't the children who made the job so horrible. They were the only good thing about the place. It was the boss. She was the most awful woman I've ever had the displeasure to work for. She offered no support whatsoever to us, she was hateful, deceiptful and downright mean. How someone who lacked such compassion towards her fellow human beings could become the director of a daycare center is beyond me.
Oh yes, she could be nice. I was amazed at how nice she could be when in the presence of outsiders, especially her own boss. Otherwise she ruled the center with an iron fist, and seemed to take great joy in causing dissent amongst her pee-ons. She would lie straight to our faces and dare us to question it.
She particularly liked to pick on certain people. I got to be one of them for about the first 6 months of the year that I worked there. There were others. Usually the younger white girls, and the Japanese girls. She found us easy targets as we generally did not talk back, and could be brought to tears quick enough to please her. She treated the Philipinas of which she shared the same descent much better, and the rumor was she was too afraid to cross the black women that worked there, so they may have faired better with her.
There just wasn't much choice as far as jobs went when we were overseas. I managed to make it a year at that place, and then, thankfully it was time to move. I don't think I could have lasted much longer anyway.
One thing is for sure, she made me so much more thankful that I never had to put my child in that environment when she was little. Nothing happened as far as the workers that made me feel that way, it's just I know how unhappy people were there, and the children had to have picked up on that on some level.
What an awful experience.
No comments:
Post a Comment