Monday, October 02, 2006

Who Is In The Mood For Some Pie?

Momma Makes A Mean Pie.

Okay, Bold Stuck. This is annoying. Really, I won't stop.
Ah, there. I had the most horrible piece of pie at work today, it was some sort of smashed up apple and peach concoction with crumbs on top. The filling was mushy and thick, and all around not good. My mother could definitely teach those people something about making a good pie. She makes wonderful pie, nothing fancy, the crusts aren't super buttery and flaky like the uppity pie places out there, but they are homemade, and taste just right with the sweet and tangy fillings she adds.

It really is simple, she makes and rolls out the crust, slices up apples, mixes them with sugar and something or other else, I know there is cinnamon in there somewhere, and butter, covers it, pokes holes in the top, and yum, good pie. The best really.

Fall is a great time of year for pie. Something about those bright colors on the trees, makes me think of an apple harvest, and a warm slice of fresh apple pie, with spoonfull of vanilla ice cream on top of course. I don't know about other people, but when I grew up we never had a store bought pie.

In many ways I've deprived my own child of that experience. I hardly cook some days, and most certainly don't bake anything. Although we did bake some chocolate chip cookies the other day, I've practically forgot how to bake a thing. Don't worry though, I never force store bought pies on any child. I don't touch them most of the time.

The school sent home a note the other day about some Fall thing, meant to take the place of the evil and scary Halloween celebrations I remember from growing up wild and uncivilized. I guess the kids can dress as a story book character (boring), but noooooo scary monsters or anything that might "offend" (boring). No swords, or light sabers please (boring), and definitely no Chinese stars or boots made for walkin'. I have to give it to them, at least they aren't trying to perpetrate this year and hold the thing on Halloween night, they chose an altogether different night. Of course, the kids will be able to go "trunk or treating" this is where they go from car to car in the school parking lot and get candy (boring). Yawn. Oh are you still awake?

Now, I'm sorry but this does absolutely nothing to reinforce the message that I have drilled into my child's head for the last 10 years of her life, "don't take candy from strangers in cars," among many other notions.

Excuse me, for saying so, but how gay. Yeah, uh, we won't be attending that one. Let's pretend we're not celebrating Halloween, and then do it on a different night, hahaha, that's really sticking it to someone. Makes me want to go build a fake cemetery in my yard right now.

Do I just not get it or what? Everyone else seems just as content to sit around and let flipping committees of housewives change everything, including people's holidays. Sure I could have gone to the PTO meeting, but I would rather drive a stake into my skull. These mysterious people run the school, and get pretty darn hostile when other parents assert their own opinions on anything been there, once was enough.

Well, who wants pie? Sounds good to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment