Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Sometimes The Title Is The Hardest Part

Then There Is This Bit Here.

Hello friends, this is me. I'm even in a good mood tonight. It was probably that 2 hour nap I took today, but I don't even feel like writing mean things at all. Although, I don't usually plan all that much what I'm going to write, I normally just sit down and start writing so I can't promise for sure. I have no more idea than you do where this post is going. It's kind of exciting isn't it? Well, isn't it?

I probably shouldn't write about the little news tidbit I heard on the radio today about how some Principal at a school in Norway has declared that the boy students are forever more required to sit down to relieve themselves. To PEE, she wants them to sit down to pee. Now, of course I have no personal or invested (hahaha, I think that should say vested instead of invested, I'm leaving it because I think it is funny and humbling) interest in whether a boy, or even a grown man finds it more comfortable to sit down to pee or what have you, but immediately, my son, the one I never had, popped into my head and my first reaction was, "Oh no no, there is no way a school is going to say that my son has to sit down to pee, standing up to pee is part of being a man gosh dang it, and the reason men like camping outdoors much more than most women it is a right, or should be declared one if necessary."

My sister and I have reached the conclusion that mothers and their sons have a special bond that those of us who are mothers of daughters alone cannot understand, however I can verify that I have witnessed this mothers and their sons thing on various occasions, it is as true as I sit here, some mothers favor their sons more, even over their own daughters as well. That is not to say that they would not protect their daughter, but I've noticed that some women really go overboard for their boys.

It can be quite annoying, especially to my sister who has to deal with the mothers of 40 year old sons which call her to try and get things done on behalf of their obviously spoiled and inept grown sons. Really, she deals with these mothers all the time. She notes that she rarely if ever has mothers calling for the same reasons for their grown daughters.

Hey, I live with it. As much as I love my mother in law, she changes when my husband comes home for his week off. She's suddenly up cooking and cleaning, and doing all sorts of things that she doesn't necessarily feel the urgency to do when it is just us here. Man, she runs out to the store, stocks up on groceries, and everything else when her son is on his way home. At first it bothered me, I thought she was trying to make him think I wasn't a good wife because I didn't have the stuff done, or that I wasn't taking good enough care of him, but it wasn't about me at all. It was about the mother and her son.

Thankfully my husband and his mother have a good relationship, but he has done exactly as a man and a woman for that matter is supposed to do, he has bonded with his wife and family. I used to think that she didn't really accept me as I would have liked for her to, she was slow to embrace me although she's always been respectful. Living together has changed all of that. We are much closer and have really come to know each other and understand each other so much more. The great thing is we share a bond now as well, we both love him, and can share him. Poor guy there is a lot of clucking going on around him. He loves it even though he's usually the type that would rather be left alone.

Sure I could have left all that bit out, but I think I will keep it. My mother in law will be moving out this weekend. Her house will become available this week. I'm honestly going to miss having her around everyday. I've enjoyed having her here. She's helped so much with cleaning, and she even does my laundry sometimes. How spoiled is that? We've all gotten along quite well.

The cat is insisting that I stop this incessant rattling of keys immediately and pet and hold him. He's finally settled down on the mouse.

Well, this wasn't all that mean was it? See what a little rest can do for a person? Take naps people. It makes the world a better place. Oh and to the Principal of the little school with unisex bathrooms, Clorox wipes. Or something similar. Problem solved. Further, umm, boys, seat up, thems the break, put it down when you are done.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:29 AM

    Back in the early 80's when I was whelp engineer working on the space shuttle flight computers, one of my co-workers came up with an idea to solve the female dilemma of how to pee standing up in the outdoors. Basically, a shaped funnel. He called it a "SaniFem" and was selling them by the thousands out of his living room. A google search shows that he's probably still at it. At least the product is still for sale.

    The guy was a real character and lot of fun to hang out with. His pickup truck didn't have a speedometer -- he'd fitted it with an airspeed indicator and pitot tube out of an airplane ;->

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:33 PM

    If I were still in school, there's no way I'd let them make me pee sitting down. It's just an attempt to feminize men--a path Europe sometimes seems to be pretty far down.

    ReplyDelete