Sunday, August 06, 2006

I'm Still Here

Update.

Who has time for fancy titles these days? I know I certainly don't. Now that we've moved back into the house we used to rent last year, and we're finally all settled, I thought I would take a moment to put something out there for posterity, or for my two friends who read this here mess.

So we bought the house, we moved back in, and are steadily trying to make the place comfy and cozy. Ten giant bags of lawn cuttings later, our yard is starting to look less like a good hiding place for a herd of antelope, and more like a nice place for our dog to do his business. The weeds have come close to overtaking the place, so hubby is weeding and feeding like crazy hoping to get rid of the EVIL thistle (scroll down to 16 January 1988 to get a clue what we're dealing with here) which I hate and wonder what exactly it's purpose is in the overall scheme of life and the food chain. Believe me, we're going to be talking a lot about thistle, it has spread to all corners of the yard, and it is now our mission in life to destroy it as soon as possible. The stuff is tough, and untouchable by delicate human hands.

I'm still a non-smoker right at 3 months now, but it's been really hard lately with all the stress of moving and things that are happening in my life right now, I wish I had my handy dandy old friend Mister Nicotine to help me through this stress. I don't know how or why, but when I feel stressed the old cravings start to kick in, but I'm not giving up, it's better to crave it once in a while than every 20 minutes of every day. At least that's what I'm telling myself so that I can stay firmly on the wagon. I wish I had something to replace smoking with, but even sitting here blogging makes me want to light up one and puff away. I tried to replace it with beer, a much more socially acceptable drug than smoking cigarettes, but for some reason I find the idea of becoming an alcoholic so late in life a bit dramatic, and really I don't much like the taste of alcohol anyway.

There is of course food as a wonderful alternative to smoking, but I'm pretty much already as addicted to food as I can be, I'm happy to announce that 3 months after quitting smoking I still fit all of my pants, although they are a bit more snug than usual, and one of my buttons did pop off of my work pants, but it also has one of those hook things on it too, so I can still wear them, and they actually feel better now that the button isn't making that indentation in my belly still.

Basically I haven't found a suitable replacement to smoking. I have become quite addicted to going swimming though, I don't know if that is related at all, but just as I suspected being a non smoker is boring as hell. And that pretty much explains why non-smokers are drawn to doing stupid things like climbing mountains, taking the stairs instead of the elevator, and eating boca burgers instead of good old fashioned hamburgers. Smoking used to be fun, and frankly, it was something to do. Now I have nothing to do. Honestly, I've been quite bored as a non-smoker. Either that or there just aren't that many things I would rather do than have a coke and a smoke and a good talk about anything at all.

I guess that's enough of an update for now since I forgot to post this and was off reading blogs and emails and stuff. I will be back soon this time. I actually have access to the net again at my convenience.

No comments:

Post a Comment