Friday, August 11, 2006

Computers Make Life Easier

Oh Yeah Right.

Of course they do. I love the ole computer. I adore technology when it is used for good, and not evil. Now, when I went to college twelve years ago, I still sometimes typed my papers out on a good old fashioned electric typewriter, and barely used a computer. Sure did. Heck, when I learned how to type way back in 1984 the teacher demanded that we all rotate and each get a chance to type on the electric one, but he preferred that we learn how to type on the manual typewriter, plus we only had 4 of the electric anyway.

I remember how he told us it was much more important that we type on the manual ones, and learn how to use them well, ironically I don't think I've ever used one since, but I darn well could if I had to. I guess he thought it would build the muscular finger strength we were going to need for the rest of our lives, and sure enough I do possess a great amount of finger strength, especially my middle one which I use in traffic all the time. That's what is wrong with kids these days you know. They've never had to actually fix any of their own mistakes, or even try hard not to make any, although I can't honestly say I'm much better and I did have to fix a lot of crap on that darn old type writer.

So there I was the other day at the college, about 2 years ago I decided I was going to go and enroll and take a class or two, and being such the procrastinator I've only just got around to going this week. Imagine how other areas of my life are fairing with such lack of direction. Actually there were other factors, or at least that's my story. Procrastinators are chronically abusing the "other factors" excuse, and I'm no exception. Anyway, so I went, mind you it's been 12 years or so since I've taken a class at any college.

I mentally prepared myself to deal with the lines, the go here cross this "T", and go there and dot this "I" silliness that caused me to drop out of college in the first place. I really do hate people who say, "well college shows that a person has sticktoitiveness, that they're able to finish something!" That is the biggest crock of bull hockey I've just about ever heard. Seriously. I think cleaning other people's toilets for the same amount of time just as easily demonstrates real committment, and even a willingness to put up with an awful lot of crap.

That being said, there is a time and place for everything. One class. I'll just start with that. I just want to get a feel for it, and see if I like it. That's all I'm going to say on it at the moment. I hate talking myself up about something and then it's not what I want, and then I look all wishy washy and stuff.

Oh my gosh I am completely sucking at telling this simple story. Well, I went down there, stood in line at the admission office waiting my turn. I get up there, "hello, I would like to take a class, what do I need to do? I don't see any application for admission sheets anywhere."

Extremely sarcastic looking woman replies, "you need to go over there to those computers and apply." All righty. Computer huh? This should be a breeze then. I'll be done and outta here with my class in no time. Umm, no. The computer doesn't give an answer until 72 hours later. The computer crashed while I was there. I had to go home and finish putting the application in. I'm still waiting for an answer. The computer says I'm a non-resident which is a load of hooey. And basically I can't pay for the class online anyway, so I'm going to have to go back out to the school on my day off, and they will undoubtedly want a lock of my dead great great grandmother's hair, and the deed to my home as proof that I do actually live in this state, and am in fact a resident taxpayer.

I would think that a college would have a more efficient system, it being an institution of higher learning and all, I mean heck, there are supposed to be smart people around there running the place right? Sure it's way way way better than the old days where it literally took a whole day to register for a class, but I'll tell ya, the staff is still the typical rude and indifferent government employee types like usual. I swear there are some sadistic people out there who really get off on wrecking people's days and wasting their time. It's a real turn on for some people. The more you protest or become angry, that's all the more pleasure they get out of it, which is cool if you are into that sort of thing, but I'm definitely not into being a doormat thank you very much.

Whatever. I'm over it. So, I'm waiting until my day off when I can hopefully get registered to take my class, and see if I like it, and go from there. At least I can use a computer to get me through this time. That will help so much, even if their system was absolutely useless in the process, I'm sure it helped someone at some point, just not me that's all.

No comments:

Post a Comment