Monday, April 24, 2006

I Really Need To Do Something

Other Than Read Blogs.

It's my day off, and here I sit. Wasting time, sweet precious time. Time that could probably be better spent doing laundry, receiving a pedicure, or taking a shower. There are groceries to be bought, cat boxes to be cleaned, and all I want to do is sit here and read blogs. The idea of taking a nap has crossed my mind too many times to be ignored. I will be getting in the bed soon. The thought of it is something akin to what a crack addict must feel when anticipating his next fix. Cuddling up with 3 pillows and my thick silky comforter is pure heaven to me. Why does sleep have to feel so good?

My love of napping started in High School. I was compelled to come home and crash on my bed just about everyday after school. This started a vicious cycle of staying up late, getting up early and being chronically tired day in and day out, the only relief, and motivation was knowing that I would eventually take a nap, and the world would go bye bye for that precious hour. Those habits developed in my youth have carried over and affected my adult life, I still love a good nap.

As I've aged I've overcome the inability to go to bed early. I can no longer function on a few hours of sleep even if I know I can get through the day and take a nap later. When I was in my 20's I could still get by on a few hours of sleep. In my 30's I would not dream of torturing myself in such a manner. I specifically plan to get my 8 hours of sleep each night, I'd be useless to anyone without it. I generally do not take naps on days that I work, I reserve napping for my days off, when I can do so guilt free, and without messing up my night sleeping schedule. Although, as an adult, I don't really think there is such a thing as a guilt free nap. Not when there are so many things to be done.

I remember visiting my grandparents during the summer when I was a teen ager, and how my grandfather was appalled that I took a nap right in the middle of the day. He said, "I haven't taken naps since I was 2 years old, naps are for babies!" He was somewhat disgusted by the idea of a practically grown person taking a nap. I made sure that summer to wake him up every time I saw him nodding off in his recliner, I would get right up close to him and say, "are you asleep?" He would say "no, I'm just resting my eyes!" Ha! Got ya! He was taking naps, but since he didn't get in bed and go to sleep, he did not see falling asleep in his chair the same way.

There are times I've had to defend my nap taking addiction to others. People are so judgemental about it. Much like my grandfather was. I really can't help it. I wish I was one of those people who ran on energy reserves all the time, but I don't. I can literally fall asleep in a few short minutes at any given time. I've actually had people time me. My brother swears I suffer from some sort of narcolepsy. Others might just say I'm lazy. I've even thought maybe I am just lazy.

I do manage to make it through the day at work without a nap, that doesn't mean it doesn't cross my mind. It does. Just about everyday. I try not to let on to people that I am sleepy. They'll just think I'm lazy. I try to hide it all the time. I keep myself as busy as possible to get through the sleepy times. I hate the idea of someone thinking I'm lazy. I'm not lazy. I'm just freaking tired and want to sleep.

My secondary addiction is to caffeine, the anti nap. I have to have my coffee each morning. I drink about 2 cups. It carries me through the morning. After lunch is usually when I'm the sleepiest. I rarely drink coffee at lunch. I mostly only drink it in the morning. I do usually have a coke at lunch, the caffeine perks me up, and makes the afternoon tolerable. After that I'm fine, and can function the rest of the day. I'm still tired when I get home, and I could easily go to bed, but then I would not sleep that night. I stay up and try to get in bed at a reasonable hour.

Even though I have to fight the urge to sleep throughout the day, I would rather have it this way. I know people who take at least an hour to fall asleep at night. There is nothing more torturous than being tired and not being able to fall asleep, and knowing the clock is ticking away and that alarm will be going off soon. That just sucks.

I've been much more tired throughout the day since my car accident. I don't sleep as well at night, I wake up quite often with my neck stiff. I can't get comfortable as a result.

Last night Mr. Conner slept with me. He woke me up numerous times. He wanted to be petted, and cuddled. Everytime I moved he would wake up and meow at me over and over, purring in my ear and nudging me to pet him. He's been following me around since he came home. He slept on my head, cuddled up right next to my face, across my side, and in my space all night. I would wake up with his fur in my nose, and have to try to move him, which he did not take too kindly. Right now he is laying on my lap as I type this. Poor little guy. I get the feeling he is really glad to be home, warm and safe again. I'm glad he's back. He's got a real personality that one.

I think it's time for Mr. Conner and me to go take a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment