I Am Happy.
I know the post below this one may sound like I think being positive is a bad thing. Well, I do think too much of anything could be a bad thing, but in general I think being a happy sort is not so wrong. Some people just take it too far, and will accept nothing else. It's an impossible measure by which to judge a person's character which is what some proponents of positive thinking seem to do. We all have bad days, and unhappy thoughts. Some of us have more than others.
It is dishonest at best to pretend that people who acknowledge negative things are somehow flawed, and just unhappy people. I'll never believe it. Ever. As long as shitty things happen, I know that someone somewhere is thinking something negative about it. As long as people are people and step on each other's toes at times, people will get bent out of shape and piss and moan about it. Some people are better at hiding their true feelings about things, I never trust those people. I am much more likely to trust the person who is willing in such an environment to say, "man, this stinks!'' then the one who tries to pretend otherwise.
Sure it is a waste of energy to bitch and complain about things that are small and will not change. It is negative to do so. Find the silver lining or something, but don't try to tell me that I'm somehow a bad person because I don't play along. Sometimes it just feels better to say it, then be done with it. Granted, no one has actually told me specifically that I'm a negative person, however, the idea is that anyone who thinks negative thoughts is. That is the message. I think negative things sometimes, so I am indirectly implicated I suppose. Try as I might, at times I feel as if I might burst if I don't get some things off my chest.
I was much happier when I wasn't being hammered with this be positive crap. Say it once, but must it be a theme at every pep meeting? I guess it wouldn't be a pep meeting if someone wasn't bitching about everyone else being negative, although I'm not even sure who all these negative people are, everyone I work with seems to be fairly happy most of the time, give or take a moment here and there. It's not so intolerable, or at least that is what I thought until it was pointed out over and over again, that no, people are not happy. Oh, I see.
How about hammering in the idea that people treat each other with dignity and respect. That might help.
No comments:
Post a Comment