As I Want To Be.
Lately I've been really addicted to various "reality t.v." shows. Some people think these shows are low class and that the people who watch them are some sort of sadistic voyeurs who "feel better about themselves when they see others humiliated." I say that is a heap of psycho-mumbo jumbo, and rather elitist and extreme on the surface, not to mention quite judgemental. It seems to me this view amounts to not much more than "I'm better than you uncivilized heathens." I can't begin to know the motivations that other people have for tuning into shows like American Idol, or Amazing Race, but I know that I have my own reasons for it.
Now I've never been one who sits on the edge of my seat watching a ball game, the olympics or any other sort of sporting competitions, yes, even curling. I watch with a sort of passive yawn most of the time. But watching people compete to win 1 million dollars, or a record deal does interest me.
These people have their own personalities, and that is part of the intrigue. If that is not evidence enough, name one member of any nation's curling team, now name the last American Idol. If someone happens to humiliate themselves, well that is life. I humiliate myself all the time, and have done so many times. There was that time I walked all the way through the building at work with a long piece of toilet paper hanging out of the back of my pants. I can't forget the time I answered the phone and thought I was speaking to my husband, and told him how much I loved him and missed him, even called him "baby" only to find that I was actually speaking to my father in law who thought I had temporarily lost my mind.
Sure none of those things were aired on television, but so far I've not heard one single case of people being forced to participate in these shows. I for one respect their right to embarrass themselves for the pure entertainment value of it. Now a person who is secretly video taped singing in their shower, and made a mockery of on the evening news, would indeed have my sympathy.
That settles it for me. Watch whatever you want to watch or don't, I don't care. Just mind your own business about what I watch. That would really make me feel better about myself.
No comments:
Post a Comment