
A few people might recognize this unmistakable monument that sits on ole Route 66. I'm thinking of you CG. From what I understand, this courthouse is made out of marble, obviously rough unfinished marble. The town used to revolve around this marble quarry, my grandfather and dad both hauled this marble all over the country. It is Carthage Marble, and they no longer quarry it I'm told, although there is still plenty there. My grandfather was a great lover of marble, and collected as many pieces as he could of all sorts of different marble from all over the world.
Jasper County Courthouse, Carthage, Missouri, right? (Never did figure out how Carthage, and not the larger Joplin, wound up as the county seat, though this is not unheard of in Missouri: used to be, all the Jackson County offices were in Independence, to the dismay of Kansas City residents.)
ReplyDeleteIsn't it interesting how beautiful the courthouses are in the midwest? When we lived in Minnesota, we loved to go to the different county seats and just look at the architecture and craftsmanship that was so beautifully displayed.
ReplyDeleteThen you get county buildings like the one for Washington County, Utah. Oy.
CG, I suspected you would recognize it. I can't say for sure, but I suspect it is because all of the money from mining was in Carthage as evident by the number of grand homes in such a small town. At least that's a guess.
ReplyDeleteOld Sourdough, I've always thought this was an amazing building. It is even better close up when you can really see the details.