Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Things

Just Stuff.

1. We already put our Christmas tree up.

2. My husband and I never buy each other Christmas gifts. This was a tradition we started when we first got married, and everyone did tell us that we would make our own traditions as a family. Back then we were too broke to buy each other anything, now I guess we are just too cheap. My husband says, "Just buy what you want throughout the year", I think he just doesn't like shopping all that much.

3. Our daughter gets a lion share of gifts for Christmas because she is an only child, and because we don't buy for each other.

4. The kiddo wants an X-box, or some other such trendy gadget for Christmas, she is not getting one. I just won't spend nearly $400 on one of these things. That is ridiculous. She will still have a nice Christmas.

5. Some years the majority of gifts our family received were from my parents. Our first year stationed overseas, we were so broke from the move that we could not afford anything much at all, even for our daughter, and my mother knowing this, sent so many boxes that we actually had gifts under the tree.

6. I've never made a whole Christmas or Thanksgiving dinner in all of these years. The 3 of us would never eat all of that food even if I tried to make smaller portions.

7. Our first Thanksgiving overseas we ate at Taco Bell on base.

8. The holidays are not as fun when you have no family around.

9. My husband and I are both going to be working on Christmas.

10. We both had Thanksgiving off. We had dinner at my parent's house.

11. Thanksgiving was the first major holiday I have had off in 3 years.

12. My husband will be working on Christmas for the next 7 years.

13. The holidays are only really fun for people when they are off and get to spend that time with family.

14. The best part about Christmas for me is the tree and the decorations because I actually get to enjoy those parts at my leisure.

15. Christmas has been marketed to death, but I still think it is an important time for families, and an important day of celebration for our culture. Nothing will make someone appreciate that time more, than not being able to participate in the celebrations.

16. At least we got Thanksgiving off. That was nice.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:09 AM

    My kids want a Wii for Christmas. That is sooo not going to happen. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yah, my kids are all grown, and they all want Wii's, too. But they can jolly well get their own. They are all working...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:38 AM

    When our kids were small I really enjoyed Christmas. Now it just seems to be far too commercial. It's all about how much money you spend.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great set of rules. And re the Christmas tree: I was growing up in place where it was a norm and love it. There is some magic beyond (or before) religion in this tradition.

    ReplyDelete