Sunday, October 28, 2007

Things The Baby Has Chewed On This Week

I have no life.

We're still in the honeymoon phase with the new baby. Sure, I get tired of my living room looking like a playground with various chew toys strewn about, but the pleasure exceeds the inconvenience so we deal with it.

He's just so darn fluffy and cute, there was no way I could get mad at him today when he managed to go outside with a pair of my daughter's undies in his ferocious razor sharp baby teeth. He proceeded to carry them to and fro around the back yard, until I went to call him in and noticed he was carrying them around. It was a little embarrassing, but I thought the chances of someone actually noticing the little fur ball with the underpants was pretty slim, but to be on the safe side, I made my daughter run out and get them right away anyway. It's best we not let the little guy parade our unmentionables in such an unruly manner in front of the neighbors.

So far he has managed to kill the hedgehog puppet, a rabbit fur, and a phone cord. He has also taken ownership of a stray flip flop, and anything and everything he can find that will fit in his tiny mouth. I ask how he finds all of this stuff, but it seems a mystery to all at this point. Frankly, I blame my daughter, she's really good at leaving stuff laying about, but then again, she probably gets that trait from me, and I from my mother and so on, and it all boils down to it being the fault of my long lost great grandparents, who were first cousins and therefore not very great genetic candidates for breeding responsible and normal people.

He has been proving himself to be quite a sneaky and foxy little thing after all. He has tried on many occasion to take over the big dog bowl of food, he has his own little dog bowl with puppy food in it, but he prefers to eat from the big bowl which doesn't bode well at times with the big guys and sometimes there is gruffing and complaining, but it mostly comes from the little one trying to take over the bowl when the big dogs are eating. He has figured out that I hide the bag of dog food behind the bench of the nook, and he has also, through sound and logical research, realized that if he jumps on that bag when our big boy dog is at the bowl, the sound of the bag crunching startles him and he leaves the bowl.

I can't help but be entertained by this, and when I told my husband about it he looked at me as if I had just said, "Our dogs know how to read." He took a very skeptical position right away, until we sat at the table and it happened, and I said, "There, did you see that?" Yes, sure he did, but one incident did not prove anything to him, and so the pup as if knowing somehow, went and did it again, and then my husband said, "Oh my gosh, he's smart!" And then we felt very proud.

They grow up so fast!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:20 AM

    Our "baby" Brownie decided this weekend that the power cord for the a/c was a chew toy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:16 AM

    Our male Pyrenees has decided that our fire wood pile is there for his amusement and source of chew toys. So now we have fire wood strewn about the yard..........

    ReplyDelete