Saturday, August 25, 2007

The Girl Wants A Puppy

It Is Not Going To Happen.

When my brother was 2 years old he decided to chuck humanity and become a puppy. For about a year he insisted "call me Puppy!" Whenever we said his name, he immediately corrected us. We started calling him "Puppy". I think we all just didn't want the argument. He took his puppy thing to a whole new level, and even acted like a puppy. This was also what we could call his nudist phase. We had to get puppy to actually put on some clothes for pictures on Christmas morning.

He was naked so much we just got used to it. What can I say? He was home, and he was safe. My daughter went through a similar phase, but it was for a much shorter period of time. Whenever we were home off went the clothes. Unfortunately for my brother, my sister and I were so much older than him, so we have much better memories of his puppy phase, and so do all of our friends. I'm sure to an outsider this whole thing must have seemed strange. The only thing we could get him to wear most of the time was an actual dog collar. Well, actually, he insisted on wearing the dog collar, we would have preferred that he not.

This was the same year that he really wanted a basket for his bicycle. My mom searched high and low for that damn basket, and the only one she could find was a white one with plastic flowers on the front of it. AND she bought it for him. He loved the thing. I think there is a picture somewhere of the bicycle with the gay basket on it, but that is for another post really.

I don't remember when he stopped being Puppy. I was a kid too so it is difficult for me to put a timeline on it. I do know that the paper boy was in the same class with my sister in high school, and he actually wrote in her yearbook, "I enjoyed delivering the paper to you and your naked little brother all of those years." Puppy lives on in infamy. I think the worst part was when Puppy went outside on the deck when we sitting down to dinner and proceeded to go potty just they way any ordinary puppy would do. We were all pretty much mortified, and puppy got scolded for that one.

Somehow my parents managed to get that boy through his phase, and luckily he has very little memory of it at all, in fact, I don't think he remembers any of it, and he gets fairly annoyed whenever the subject is brought up. I don't blame him for that. We usually don't mention the puppy thing unless we are all in a really wacky mood.

None of this really has anything to do with the fact that my mother in law's best friend's dog just had puppies and my daughter wants one really super duper really really bad. Of course, I have no inclination to bring another animal into this house under any circumstance, unless I decide I want my husband to leave me which is not bloody likely at all because I adore him, and he treats me like a spoiled rotten princess. Well daughter thinks if she really really begs for this thing we will break down and get it for her, but we will not because we don't want anymore animals, we've got our hands full with the 2 dogs, 3 cats, and chinchilla that we have already.

Kids don't always think about the practicality of these things. They just see cute, want cute, must have cute. I feel for her. I understand this thing. See it, hold it, love it, want it, but there comes a time when the answer is just flat out "no", and she is not liking that answer. We can't just collect animals. She doesn't understand this, or refuses too. I've been there. I brought home a couple of animals and begged and pleaded, and I learned that if I could get dad to take a liking to the thing it was in. Worked every time like a charm. We all knew this.

I don't know why she refuses to believe that this puppy will one day just be another average dog, but she seems to think it will be a cute little puppy forever. I have half a mind to opt out and let daddy handle this one. He will say no, and that will be the end of the subject. Period. He is the ying to my yang if there ever was one, and I wish he was home because I miss my love when he is not here.

I love animals too, but I refuse to live in a zoo. I can't take one more pet. I can't give them all of the attention they crave. My cat sits here right now, he climbs on my shoulder I pet him for a few minutes then put him down, he comes right back. He's playing havoc on the keyboard as I type this. I will take the whole horde to bed soon, and everyone will get their cuddling and petting and all will be well. The dogs patiently wait and pass gas under the desk, but they will jump right up and follow me as soon as I get up.

The lesson my daughter needs to learn is to be committed to the pets she has. Oh I know she could love another, but we've given these guys a home, and they want their own attention. We just don't have room for another. Sheesh, the dog she wants is a little yipper anyway, my neighbors would have a fit.

So, no on the puppy, and that IS final, it might take her a while to believe it, but she will get it eventually. I better go to bed. Good Night.

No comments:

Post a Comment