Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Free Morning


Somewhat.

Got up. Yeah. That's a good way to start the day. I took the youngster to school, and had a fairly peaceful drive home unlike yesterday where every nut job in town with a license was taking a leisurely Sunday drive, never mind the fact that it was not Sunday at all.

I stopped at 7-11 to get a cup of coffee. A police officer was in there getting some too. He said, "I saw some snow flurries on my way here." I said, "Oh I did too, at first I thought it was pollen or something, but it was snow." He chuckled. Got my coffee and headed out.

I got in the car and "I love rock and roll" was playing on the radio, I looked at my dog and sang, "Put another dime in the juke-box baby!" Then I felt very stupid because the police officer was walking by and saw me singing to my dog in the car. By now I am wondering just exactly how long it will take him to pull me over and search my car for intoxicants, what with the, "the snow looked like pollen," and the singing to my dog, who likes my singing very much by the way.

I drive away. The cop must have decided that I was not drunk at 8:30am, and that my bedhead look was more of an indication that I was only half awake and therefore not necessarily breaking any laws, and so he left me alone.

I'm driving up the hill towards my street and see a car slowly backing out of its driveway. I stop for the car who apparently doesn't see me coming, or doesn't care that I'm coming. Whatever, I've got coffee. I notice the car is unmanned. It is rolling out of someone's driveway onto the street and heading for a very nice looking silver pick up. Before I can do anything it rolls up onto the curb and slows to a stop, missing nice truck by about 2 feet. Yikes. A man runs out of the house to get the car. He waves me past. I smile and move on.

I pull into the driveway at home, I get out my camera phone and take a picture of my boy dog sitting in the backseat. I send the picture to my co-worker. I hear a strange rat a tat tapping with rapidity noise. I get out of the car and immediately look for the noise. I suspect I know what the noise is, but I am unsure. It sounds like it is coming from two houses away. I tell myself it is the neighbor working with some sort of power tool from the privacy of their own home.

I get on the computer and start to read blogs and write this post. I hear the strange rapid tapping noise again, this time it is closer. It is coming from my house. I say, "Oh no," and run out the front door and look at the outside of the house. "The little son of a...is back." I look for the woodpecker, for the source of the noise, he flies by me and lands in the tree next door. I've been wondering when the birds were going to make their appearance this Spring.

The hole on the front of our house has long since been repaired. Father in law took care of that before he sold the house. He bought extra boards because he has fixed the hole several times, and he left them in the shed for us as he suspected we might need them. I've been hoping and praying that little turd burglar would not come back, but that tapping tells me he is here to make his home again.

After he is finished with the hole, other birds will move in. My cats will obsess about the noise of the little bird families living in the wall in our bedroom, and my husband will have to fix the board on the outside again. I found a picture of the suspect. My father in law said it was a woodpecker, I thought they were rare or endangered or something.

I found this about the woodpeckers. Doesn't seem like there is a whole lot we can do other than patch the holes. We'll see. Maybe they will decide not to like our house this year. It is a pretty bird though.

No comments:

Post a Comment