We Are Right.
Now that is a very bold statement, but I think it is correct. Every so often I hear people complaining about the copious use of cell phones that our society has seemingly taken quite a liking to. I'm no different than the rest of society, although I try to be polite about it. I don't talk on the cell phone while in the presence of other people, for example at a full table in lunch room at work.
I keep my cell phone in my purse, and rarely go near it while at work unless I want to check and see if I have any messages, it takes two seconds to look at it. Usually this is to check on my child and make sure all is well. I never just sit and b.s. on the thing while at work, I'm there to work.
I don't talk on the phone while in line at the grocery store. I put the thing away, and say "Hello" to the person who is checking me out. I thank the person who is bagging my groceries, although sometimes I practically have to bag my own which is bad business on the part of the store.
The sin I am most guilty of concerning the ole cellular phone is talking while driving (T.W.D) I generally keep my chatting to straightways, and I will actually put the darn thing down if traffic is the least bit congested.
I can think of many ways the cell phone has made my life easier. It was the cell phone that my husband called me from that night he crashed his car on that lonely Wyoming highway. Luckily he was in an area where he had reception which in Wyoming isn't always the case. The hills are big enough to make those bars disappear in an instant.
Every single day that my husband is away I know I can send him a voicemail, or a text and let him know I'm thinking of him, missing him, loving him, even if I can't call him directly, I know he will get the message when he has time.
I can send text messages to my friend in Japan. I send them to her email, which she gets on her phone. How cool is that? Seriously. It is expensive to call Japan.
I don't have any of those fancy things on my home phone anymore. I got rid of the voicemail, call waiting, and long distance. I kept the caller i.d. because it is an invaluable function, and I like to know who is calling before I pick up the phone. If Ohio doesn't stop calling me and trying to do surveys for the love of, oh wait, with caller i.d., I don't even pick up the phone anymore when they call. I don't need voicemail at home, I can check my voicemail instantly on my cell phone anytime of the day, conveniently.
Although, I prefer a text, to voicemail, with text the message is just right there waiting to be read quickly, no need to dial up, enter pin numbers or anything. The beauty of the text is, it can be used very discreetly, checked immediately, and the form allows only short messages!
I love this stuff. It is amazing technology. The naysayers look down on the widespread use of the technology, they attempt to argue that there is something wrong with the desire of millions of people to enjoy an immediate connection to those they care about. I'm here to say it, the naysayers are wrong. It is natural to want to connect. Nature is being aided by technology. I think it is a wonderful thing.
Sure some people abuse it, are rude with it. I get annoyed with that too. I think of the Wild West days when people sent letters to their loved ones back east via pony express, that was about they only means they had. I guarantee if they had this technology they would have embraced it and used it as wildly as everyone else is today. I do realize this technology is a convenience, just as the old house phones of yesterday, but if I have access to it, I'm darn sure going to enjoy it. Why not? Tell me.
Yeah, but it does fry one's brain. At least mine it does...
ReplyDeleteWell that definitely is a bother, and one of the downsides of the things. I especially hate it when my ear starts burning, a sure sign it is time to get off the thing, and part of the reason I have not entirely given up my house phone. There are times I want to talk on the phone for more than a few minutes, I don't like to talk on the cell phone that long at a time.
ReplyDeleteThe phone company took us to the bank when they installed our house phone, for very basic service it has cost not less than a few hundred dollars to have installed. Ridiculous when the lines are already there and they pretty much only have to flip a switch.
I also will not give up the land line because with a kid at home, I like the 911 feature. Sure I can call 911 on the cell phone, but calling on the house phone instantly relays our location.
Dialing 911 from a cell phone also relays your location. cell phones now have GPS in them and they will let the 911 dispatcher know where the phone is instantly.
ReplyDelete