Monday, March 20, 2006

It's Snow Fun

But It Was Cold, Cold, Cold!

It snowed, the kiddo was out of school, and luckily I was off today, so we had an extra day together. Hubby left this a.m. to head out on his next "hitch", so we were lolly gagging around in pajamas. My brother came up with this fantastic idea of going sledding. This truly appealed to my inner child, although my outer fat ass needed some convincing.

Eventually I caved and we found the ole blow up snow tubing thing. It had never been used, I had bought it for my lovely daughter for Christmas, and this was the first real snow we've had since. We managed to get the thing inflated, which was quite a task, and we decided that mom and dad's front yard would be a good place to start since we were short on ideas as to where to go.

There are rules that transcend time when it comes to surfing the hill in my parent's front yard, something my daughter had never really done. First rule, we make a track, and stay in it. This used to work much better with trashbags we found, at least that's what my sister and I used to use. Of course we had perfectly good sleds in the garage, but the trash bag was more fun.

Daughter being completely unseasoned, and unaware of the rules made several errors on that first run down, first, she dragged her feet over the track, and she ran back up the hill right on the track, and we all know doing so will not help to get the run in the optimal icy condition that is preferable.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, let me show you how to do this I declared. I explained the importance of not messing up the track, and running up the hill to the side of the track so we can get it nice and icy. Little did I know, these new fangled snow things don't really make a good track like trash bags, I found they just sort of float over the snow, hovering just slightly above it. Here, watch me, I hopped on that thing belly first, and before I knew it I was sailing down the hill at about 20 miles per hour, which for a mom is really fast.

I dragged my hands, I dragged my feet, all right through the track, but I didn't care, I couldn't stop. That slicked up donut was flying. In a flash I imagined myself crashing head on into my brother's car which was parked right there on the sidewalk in front of me. No, I wasn't wearing a frickin' helmet! I managed to turn the thing, and I began a spin that make a whirling dervish nauseous. Finally, I stopped with a loud thud as I crashed side long into my brother's Jetta. The impact made the car shake.

Then I laid there laughing so hard tears streamed my cheeks, my brother was bent over with his hands on his knees laughing so hard that the only sound produced was a hissing sound from him trying to catch his breath. Uh, yeah, I felt like a fool. There I was insisting my daughter follow some ancient rules, and I broke every one of them the second I jumped on that thing.

We laughed our butts off though, and decided to head to a nearby school which my brother assured me had great hills covered with grass, which would hopefully be snow packed. He was right. They went down first, this time I cautiously jumped on the thing, and made a little bit slower descent, however, I did manage to sail halfway across the baseball field, but it was fun so it didn't matter.

Shortly after we got there the wind kicked up about 20 notches, and the wind chill was too horrific to endure. I saw some kid's blow up thing fly away, and they all went after it. One kid was out there on a boogie board, holding onto it for dear life. I saw them walk towards the nearby houses, the wind was so horrible I thought about offering them a ride, but I wasn't sure they wouldn't get offended or something.

After about 3 runs, daughter said, I'm going to the car, it's too cold mom. So, we high tailed it out of there. The wind really was blowing some seriously icy cold air on us. Ahh well, better luck next time. Hopefully we'll have a good snow again, they've been few and far between this year. It sure would be nice to get out there again, now that we have a good spot to go to.

No comments:

Post a Comment